Delft Design History tells the history of the faculty of Industrial Design. The school was founded in the 1960s with modest means, a few lecturers and two students. The faculty has since grown into an international teaching and research institution. Over the years, fierce debates took place about different approaches to design education, the staff developed all kinds of scientific research programmes and the faculty moved from a small attic, by way of various locations, to a large building of its own at the heart of the TU Delft campus.
This website offers an introduction to 45 years of teaching and research on design, and to the people who were involved in this. The website was created by the faculty of Industrial Design Engineering.
Questions, comments or suggestions
Do you have any questions, comments and/or suggestions regarding this website? Is part of the website not working optimally? We would be pleased to hear from you. In addition, do contact us if you have additional or interesting texts and/or photographs for us. Please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
This website is edited by the faculty of Industrial Design. The text was written by Professor Timo de Rijk and the visual material was provided by Carlita Kooman. The website was built and designed by Menno Luitjes, in consultation with Jaap van Grinsven and Carlita Kooman.
– Arthur O. Eger, Van het eerste uur, Grondleggers van de Faculteit Industrieel Ontwerpen [From the very beginning: The founders of the faculty of Industrial Design], November 2004,
– Gert Staal and Hester Wolkers, Holland in Vorm [Dutch design], chapter on De Opleidingen [Degree programmes] by Jeroen van den Heuvel, pp. 180-195, 1987,
– Patterns of papers and modules over the years,
– Items from the faculty archives.
The faculty of Industrial Design at TU Delft owns the rights to this website. The faculty gives everyone the non-exclusive right to use the content of this website. This means that you can copy the content of the website for free and re-publish it (including commercially). In doing so, the following conditions must be satisfied:
– In the case of re-use, you must always cite the original source (i.e. this website);
– In the case of re-use, you must always give the date of extraction (i.e. copying and re-use).
No part of this website may be stored or reproduced, wholly or partly, by whatever means, without first gaining the express permission of the editor.
The visual material that has been used on this website belongs to the faculty, or has been obtained directly from the parties concerned. The faculty has done its utmost to trace the lawful owner of the images and to coordinate the use of this visual material. Should the lawful owner(s) have objections to the use of the visual material on this website, they are requested to contact the editor.
First date of publication: June 2015